In 2012, a committee of feline veterinarians from the American Association of Feline Practitioners realized that many cat caregivers are a bit unwilling or stressed to bring their cat to the veterinarian. The solution was the Cat Friendly Practice®.
In July 2012, Lexington Hospital for Cats became the first veterinary hospital in Kentucky to be designated as a Gold Standard Cat Friendly Practice®.
Veterinary clinics designated as Cat Friendly Practices® have proven they take extra steps that show they understand your cat’s unique needs. The program is designed to:
- Help reduce stress from visit to the veterinarian.
- Improve the quality of care provided.
- Support the veterinary team so that the entire staff has the knowledge and resources to understand cats’ distinct needs and behaviors.
Visiting a Cat Friendly Practice® can provide lifelong benefits for your cat. You can expect your Cat Friendly Practice® to:
- Understand the unique needs of cats and make veterinary visits more cat-friendly.
- Understand how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, sensitive and caring manner.
- Create a physical space designed with you and your cat in mind.
- Meet standards for facilities and care of hospitalized cats.